In the exciting world of disc golf, putting is a critical skill that can make or break your performance on the course. Whether you’re a newcomer or looking to improve your putting technique, this beginner’s guide will provide you with valuable insights and practical tips to help you achieve maximum results with your putts. From understanding the different types of putters to mastering the art of release, we’ll explore everything
you need to know to elevate your game.
Understanding Disc Golf Putters
Choosing the right putter is essential for success in disc golf. Disc golf putters are designed to provide precision, control, and accuracy when throwing short distances to reach the basket. They typically have a unique flight path that favors stability and straight flights.
Different Types of Putters
There are various types of disc golf putters available on the market, each catering to different playing styles and preferences.
Here are three popular types:
1. Putter for approach shots: These putters have a straight flight path and are ideal for short-distance throws of up to 250 feet. They possess excellent control and can be relied upon for precise approaches. Most approach discs are at least slightly overstable.
2. Putting Putters Designed for straighter flights, these putters allow beginners to throw accurately while minimizing the risk of deviation from the intended line. They are forgiving and great for learning consistency. Putting putters are generally bulkier feeling and have more glide than approach discs.
3. Overstable putters: When you need dependable fade at the end of your throw, overstable putters come into play. They provide reliable stability in windy conditions or when navigating tight fairways.
Techniques to Improve Your Putting
Now that we understand the basics, let’s explore some techniques to enhance your putting skills on the disc golf course.
Grip and Stance
The right grip and stance contribute significantly to consistent putting. Here’s what you need to keep in mind:
1. Grip: Hold the disc with a firm but relaxed grip. Experiment with different grip styles, such as the fan grip or power grip, to find what feels most comfortable and gives you maximum control.
2. Stance: Adopt a balanced and athletic stance with your feet shoulder-width apart. Keep your weight evenly distributed, ensuring stability during your putt.
Eye Focus and Alignment
Proper eye focus and alignment play a crucial role in accurate putting. Follow these steps:
1. Eye focus: Focus your eyes on the target or the spot on the basket you want to hit. This helps your brain coordinate the release point and improve accuracy.
2. Alignment: Align your body perpendicular to the target, ensuring your shoulders, hips, and feet face the same direction.
Mastering the Art of Release
A clean and precise release is vital for a successful putt. Here’s how you can master it:
A smooth release minimizes wobbling of the disc during flight, leading to better
accuracy. Focus on these key steps:
1. Timing: Release the disc at the highest point of your arm’s reach during your follow through.
2. Wrist action: Use a loose and relaxed wrist for a smooth flick-like motion while releasing the disc.
A proper follow-through ensures consistency in your throws:
1. Extension: Extend your arm towards the target, maintaining a straight line from your wrist to your shoulder.
2. Balance: After releasing the disc, maintain balance by keeping your body upright and your weight centered.
Recommended Putt and Approach Discs
To help you get started, here are a few highly recommended discs that can enhance your putts:
Best Putting Putter – Infinite Discs Alpaca: The Infinite Discs Alpaca putting putter is a reliable and versatile disc designed to enhance your putting game. With a comfortably shallow rim, it offers a comfortable grip and a smooth release every time. The Alpaca has a straight flight path with a gentle fade at the end, making it an excellent choice for both short and longer range putts. Its beadless design allows for a consistent and clean release, ensuring accuracy and control. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned player, the Alpaca’s consistent flight characteristics and dependable performance make it a go-to choice for improving your putting accuracy and confidence on the course.
Best All Purpose Putter -Remix Disc Golf Eldritch: This putter offers excellent control and a straight flight path, making it suitable for beginners. Its moderate stability allows you to throw consistent shots. This is a great choice for both putt and approach shots.
Best Approach Disc – Discraft Zone: This is the top rated disc for approach shots. Known for its overstable flight characteristics, the Discraft Zone is perfect for players seeking reliable fade and stability in windy conditions or when navigating tight fairways.
Practicing Your Putt
No guide would be complete without emphasizing the importance of practice. Here are some tips to make your practice sessions more effective:
1. Establish a routine: Develop a consistent pre-putt routine that helps you focus and ensures repeatable mechanics in your throwing motion.
2. Vary distances: Practice putting from various distances to improve accuracy and adjust your power control accordingly.
With the proper understanding of disc golf putters, mastering essential techniques, and regular practice, you’ll soon notice significant improvements in your putting game.